Cheap, quick and relatively easy, this recipe for smoked chicken thighs is delicious to boot. I’ve gotten great results with the ingredients listed but feel free to tinker with it and come up with your own version.
Smoke Chicken Thighs
- 8 whole chicken thighs (bone-in, skin-on)
- 1 bottle Italian dressing
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp ancho chile powder
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 cup your favorite bbq sauce
- 1/2 cup apricot preserves
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- Put the chicken thighs in a resealable bag and pour the Italian dressing over it and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Preheat your smoker to 300°F.
- Divide the butter, water and kosher salt between two half-size foil pans.
- Mix together seasoning ingredients.
- Place chicken in the pans skin side down. Then sprinkle with the rub.
- Seal the pans tightly with lids or foil, then place into the smoker for 45 minutes, rotating the pans from top to bottom halfway through.
- Remove pans from smoker and then place the chicken back onto it, skin side up. Smoke for 45 minutes.
- Mix together the BBQ sauce while chicken is cooking.
- Using a brush or by dredging them, coat the thighs in sauce and place back on the smoker for another 30 minutes. You may want to start checking them earlier depending on thickness so they don't overcook. Use an instant read thermometer to be sure.
- Once chicken is done, place on a platter and serve to your hungry cannibal family.